This extension is in two parts: the extension itself and an editor server that it connects to. It's constructed like this because of a security feature of Chrome. Follow these instructions to activate it:
- Install the plugin here.
- Download the edit server, and save it somewhere useful. I suggest something like ~/bin/edit-server.
- Edit the server file you just saved and change the line starting with our $EDITOR_CMD to point to your editor (if different from the default)
- Make this file executable and run it. You should set your profile up to run this server on login.
- In Chrome, go to the TextAid extension preferences.
- Set the URL field to http://127.0.0.1:8888/. You should be able to open this page in a browser and get a "Server is up and running" message.
- Enter a username and password. You can also set a keyboard shortcut for the editor such as Shift-Ctrl-E.
- Hit 'Save'.
- Party on.